Thursday, July 28, 2011

Summer Craftacular 2011

So Craftacular was this past Sunday.  It was held at the East Side Club in Madison and nobody could ask for a more beautiful setting.  What was even better was that for ONCE the weather cooperated.  Occasionally you could hear some thunder off in the distance but none of it traveled our way.  Although it was hot and sticky there was a nice breeze coming off the lake and I was in the shade of my new canopy.  It was fun.  I have a couple of these shows under my belt now so I don't get nervous anymore and I had enough merchandise for a respectable showing.  The people I met were really nice and personable and I even ran into a couple people that I had met at previous shows.  It was nice to see Sally from Night Owl Craftworks again.

Here is the view of the show from the lake.  There were also vendors inside the building on both floors.  Unfortunately I didn't get up to the second floor to check things out but I did see everything outside and on the first level.

The club has these awesome chairs sitting out by the lake so my wonderful husband got to sit and read all day.  He looked very relaxed.  He did stay within site of my space in case I needed him.  He was a great support for me, buying me food and Sangria (I was right across from the Tiki bar).

Remember this shag rug?  It was my first sale of the day.  Huzzah!  I was so happy to see it go.  I really didn't want to carry it back home.  The  lady who bought it asked if it could be washed in her washing machine.  I responded "only if you want to break your machine".  Seriously, this is one heavy piece.

Here's the other block rug that I wove.  It turned out lovely and also got sold.  In fact, almost all my rugs sold.  I think I only have 3 left.  I'm working on getting the rest of my unsold merchandise up on my etsy store this week.  It'll be pretty sporadic.  I put up some woven runners yesterday but there are purses, a quilt, and quilted runners yet to come.

So all in all, I'm glad that I did the show because I learned something.  I learned that I will stay closer to home for shows. As beautiful as the space was, as nice as the people and the weather was, it didn't make fiscal sense.  After  adding up what I spent to get into the show, the canopy, gas, getting a tax number, and food, plus the inconvenience to my in-laws with the kids and the dog....... I really didn't make enough to justify being at this venue.  I did get rid of a lot of items, which was nice but the profit margin was significantly cut down because of all that other stuff. 

On to the next endeavor: Art vs. Craft (Milwaukee)


No comments: