Saturday, November 12, 2011

Warped Milwaukee Gallery Opening.......Tonight 6pm

Weaving is a dying art.  In America.  It's not hard to understand why really.  When you think about it.  It's expensive, time consuming, and just plain difficult.  There is no immediate gratification in weaving.  There IS gratification, but it comes...........eventually.  Plus, there's a lot of math involved.  People don't like doing math.  With this trend in mind, my friend Susan and I  diligently try to come up with new ways to promote our Weaving Center.  And thus, Warped Milwaukee was born.  With the help of the Jazz Gallery, last year ABK Weaving Center hosted it's first Fiber Arts show.  I won't lie, it was tough going.  By the time of the application deadline I believe we only had 5 entries.  I spent a couple weeks just contacting artists and jumping through hoops to get them to show their work.  Who would have thought it would be so difficult to get people to display their art?  All that hard work paid off though.  200+ people on opening night.  It was a success!  So here we are doing it all over again.  This year we managed to more than double our applicants (I actually had people contacting me this time!) and only had to spend 1 week (not 2) in pursuit of more artists.  The point is:  The show is growing!  Word is spreading!  And this years show is even better than last years.  I anticipate next years show to be better yet.   If you come to our opening tonight, you might see a little bit of this: 




No comments: